Friday, November 29, 2019

The End of Class

My class
   My time here in South Korea at Hanyang University has been studying only Korean. After almost 200 hours of class, I had my final celebration on November 20th. The final celebration was a small graduation ceremony for the students who passed level 6 and also had some small performances to enjoy as well as a slide show sharing the memories of this semester and all the Korean language levels. I completed level 1 with speaking as my best strength in the Korean language.
Dinner with my classmates
   The day before the final celebration my classmates and I all went out for dinner together after our last class. We decided on Hongdae as our location and after exploring for a bit we found a restraunt that served snack-food dishes. We ordered ramen soup and tteokboki pizza to share amongst ourselves and reminisced over all the memories we made this semester.  After dinner we found an arcade and spent some time there, playing games against each other. Finally, we ended the night in a coffee shop overlooking some busking performers.
American breakfast
Marimo- Georgie and Mimi
   Later that week I met up with some of my friends to go to a diner that served American breakfast and food. We went shopping for the "fuzzy rocks" that Georgie wanted to buy. At first, I made fun of her, but when we got to the store I couldn't help myself. I bought two of the Japanese Marimo algae balls. I named them Georgie and Mimi after Georgie and her twin. Right now mine are about 6 months old and only about 5cm in diameter. I apologize to my future children. If I manage to take care of them that long I will be passing them on to you.
   After shopping for the fuzzy rocks we went out for drinks and then finished the night with some karaoke.
   On Friday, Chan came up to the area where I lived and after enjoying dinner together I showed him around my campus. It was his first time at Hanyang University so it was a fun experience for both of us. We didn't have much time together because he had to catch the subway home, but it was fun to show him my life in South Korea.
Drinks after bowling
   The following weekend we all met up again to go bowling. I only won one of the many games we played. At first, it was only two of my friends and me, but as the night went on our group got larger. We all enjoyed samgyeopsal (pork belly) for dinner and then a few of us finished the night with drinks. The next day I made my way to Jeju Island, but that's another post. Now with my class finished, I have the whole of December to travel around South Korea as well as one week in Japan.