Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Von Ebert Brewing

Photo from Von Ebert Brewing
      A football game in one corner, a basketball game behind you, a hockey game in the right, premier leauge playing over the bar, and baseball on a small screen to the left. For lunch this weekend we visited Von Ebert Brewing, a sports pub located in the Pearl District of Portland. Upon first walking in, there is a ramp leading you up to the main floor of the pub. Towards the back wall a bar with a large screen overhead. The first area walking in is high rise tables designed for sports fans to sit or more appropriately stand at to watch their game of choice and enjoy their drinks with some finger food. For anyone wanting to sit and enjoy their food, continue to the left towards the back of the pub. Here you'll find booths along the outer wall and middle. Filling the space between the booths are tables. Keep in mind, when I say "filling the space" I mean it. Past Covid regulations of six feet apart no longer exist in this pub. Be prepared to walk sideways to squeeze by tables and those sitting at tables. While last week I made a slight acknowledgement towards accessability, this pub was the first time I looked at a space from a different perspective. As someone who is able bodied, I admittedly went from "this place has great accessability" when seeing the long ramp leading into the restraunt to "someone in a wheelchair would not be able to navigate this space" in seconds. From  my aunt, I have learned that sometimes a difficult space in a restraunt can be manageable with the willingness to assist from staff, however this pub was short staffed, and as someone who is 150lbs, I had to wiggle and worm through tables both empty and with customers to find a seat. The area at the front is more open and easier to move, but as I stated earlier, the tables are standing tables, coming just above my stomach when standing at 5ft 5in. Again, I appologize for any of my readers out there that would prefer to know the bathroom situation before entering a location. I did not use the restroom during my visit nor did I look for it. I did however, make an attempt to snoop through photos posted on Google reviews. I found what may have been the restroom as a single door hidden just to the left of the bar. 

Top: Brisket, Bottom: Pulled Pork
    Once we found our table, there was a laminated sign instructing us on how to order. Like many restraunts are chosing post-covid, a QR label was included on the sign providing a link to the online menu. Overall, the pub largely sells smoked meats, pizza and finger food. For gluten free options the pizzas can be made with a gluten free crust for an additional charge of two dollars. For vegetarian and vegan options it is the typical selection of salads as well as a vegetarian pizza option. When we went the only options they had for sandwiches were brisket and pork. Originally Roy had wanted the grilled chicken sandwich and I wanted the turkey sandwich but we ended up with brisket and tater tots for Roy and pulled pork with coleslaw and a salad for me. The brisket sandwich was good, but it was missing something to put it over the edge, a sharp cheese, a different sauce, more pickles or something else. Between the lack of toppings and pairing with the tater tots it was a rather underwhelming sandwich. The pulled pork on the other hand was much better, largely due to the coleslaw on top. As mentioned earlier, this restraunts in every aspect holds true to an American Sports Pub. Plenty of sports, beer and mediocre food. 

     For those of you who drink beer, you might find there selection more appealing than I did. I however, know what I like and what I don't like. Now I'm not saying I'm picky, but I am particular. Their selection of beers did not match my particular requirements, but I think for those of you who are IPA fans, you'll definately be able to find a drink here. I did end up finding a sour beer, Recent Yesterdays. Truthfully I made Roy finish mine because it was just a little too sour for me to finish a full bottle.

     Overall, this restraunt is exactly what it offers; a sports pub with a small brewery attatched, American pub food and a good location. I would not recommend this location to those with limitations, families with young children or even most tourists. For Portland locals looking for a bite in the Pearl District, or even on a game night I would recommend this location. 


Von Ebert Brewing at a Glance:
  • Simple American pub menu
  • High volume
    • Sports Pub
  • Limited accessability
    • Some difficult areas to navigate in the seating area
  • Not children friendly
    • Limited children's menu, closer to a bar atmospher than pub
  • Price: Two entries, one drink, plus tip: $60.00